National Cybersecurity Awareness Month (NCSAM) is celebrated in October to raise awareness about the importance of keeping private information safe online. The Department of Homeland Security's website says the "collaborative effort between government and industry ensures every American has resources they need to stay safe and more secure online.”
This year's theme is "Do Your Part. #BeCyberSmart." Each week, Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency and National Cyber Security Alliance will highlight a different theme:
- Week of October 4: Be Cyber Smart.
- Week of October 11: Fight the Phish!
- Week of October 18: Explore. Experience. Share.
- Week of October 25: Cybersecurity First
Additionally, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) is hosting a series of events and sharing resources.
Read the Governor’s press release on Cyber Awareness Month in Illinois that includes additional tips for how to stay safe online.
Keeping up to date on the latest information and available resources is important. Illinois workNet has articles to help you protect yourself from online threats, prevent identity theft, stay away from online scams, and how to handle company data breaches.
Illinois workNet Articles: Discover what careers are available in Cybersecurity with the Illinois workNet Careers, Wages & Trends Search that allows you to use career and labor market information to:
- Plan for high school and beyond.
- Complete job applications and prepare for interviews.
- Find out about expected number of job openings and how much a job could pay.
- Make a job change, relocate, or request a pay raise.
For the latest on Cybersecurity Awareness month, follow us on social media and lookout for the hashtag #BeCyberSmart: