Beginning July 1, 2013, youth in communities throughout Illinois participated with the state’s 2013 Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP). Youth ages 14-24 qualified if they met income requirements, received a form of state assistance, or were graduates of the Lincoln ChalleNGe Academy. Participating youth benefited from paid work experience, career education, and learning job readiness skills. Some of the programs focused on educational career pathways or community gardens. Employers participated by providing work experience.
The Illinois workNet web portal was used to facilitate the program:
- Youth and their families submitted an online program application to find out if they were eligible and located programs near them.
- Participating youth completed online learning activities and earned an certificate for successful completion.
- Employers connected to the SYEP providers using an online directory.
- Providers used youth intake and facilitation tools.
- The state pulled real-time reports as needed.
Providers, youth, and employers who participated with the program are providing success stories. Submit or see successes by clicking on the graphics below.
Sponsored by the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity.
Published: 07-16-2013 Updated: 11-19-2013