Production and planning clerks keep the flow of work and materials running smoothly. They make sure that orders are processed on time and correctly.
The duties of production and planning clerks are mainly clerical. They review and deliver production schedules and work orders. They confer with department supervisors to determine the progress of work. Clerks also compile reports on the progress of work and any problems that may have slowed down production.
Depending on the work setting, production and planning clerks may have a variety of other tasks. They may:
- Schedule workers
- Estimate production costs
- Route or deliver parts to departments
- Keep track of the inventory in departments
- Schedule the shipment of parts so that materials are available
- Talk to vendors to make sure that materials are shipped on time