Hospital administrators are not licensed. Nursing home administrators must be licensed by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Licensing requirements are:
- must be at least 21 years old;
- a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university;
- or satisfactory completion of approved course of instruction in Nursing Home Administration (no experience requirement);
- or graduation from a three-year diploma nurse program and employer's affidavit certifying two years of qualifying experience;
- or an associate's degree or a minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter hours of credit earned from an accredited college or university and an employer's affidavit certifying the applicant's qualifying experience;
- passage of a written exam; and
- payment of an application fee.
Licenses must be renewed every two years. Payment of a fee and 36 hours of continuing education are required.
Additional licensing information can be obtained from:
Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
320 West Washington Street
Springfield, IL 62786