How do you stress the importance of preparation and organization during a job search? It may be hard for some customers to realize their job search is basically a job in itself. The ultimate goal is to get a job that matches their skills and interests and provides enough income for a comfortable lifestyle. As a partner, you know this does not "just happen". To maximize the results of their job search, it takes:
- Critical thinking skills,
- Research skills,
- Communication (written and verbal) skills,
- Organization skills, and more.
That is a lot to explain and to understand! Illinois workNet has the tools to help your customers work through this process and maximize their job search results.
Although customers may have very different skill sets, employment histories, and career interests, the
is the same.
- Be able to communicate (written and verbal) your technical, transferrable, and workplace skills though your experiences.
- Locate job openings and research the positions.
- Customize the way you communicate your skills based on the job requirements.
- Organize your job search by tracking your applications, follow-up activities, and interviews.
- Evaluate your progress and modify your approach as needed.
Illinois workNet has:
- Tools and resources that every customer can use for these basic steps.
Articles that dive into the details and provide more guidance based on a customer's specific situation. Articles will continue to be added over time.
Videos for those who prefer or learn better by watching videos.
Related Resources for online resources and tools (in addition to Illinois workNet tools) that have been reviewed and vetted.
- NOTE: If you have a suggestion for an article or you would like to contribute an article (your original work), send the information to
Take a look at the recommended tools and approaches below.